Dr. Pradeep Chowbey
Founder President – Asia Pacific Hernia Society (APHS)
President – Asia Pacific Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Society (APMBSS)
President – Asia Pacific Chapter of International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO).
President Elect – International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO).
Past President – Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI)
Board Member – Gasless Laparoscopic & Endoscopic Surgeons Society International(GasLESS)
Advisor – Asia Pacific Endosurgery Task Force (AETF)
Trustee & Past President – Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgeons (IAGES)
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey belongs to the cadre of the pioneer laparoscopic surgeons in India. He was one of the first to perform Laparoscopic cholecystectomy in North India and since then, has worked with singular determination to develop, evaluate and propagate Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery in India.
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey presently is Vice Chairman – Max Healthcare, Chief – Surgery & Allied Surgical Specialities and Director – Max Institute of Minimal Access, Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (MAMBS) at Max Healthcare Institute Ltd., New Delhi (India). The Max Institute of MAMBS is being accredited as an International Centre of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery by the Surgical Review Corporation (SRC), USA. and Centre of Excellence in Endohernia by the Asia Pacific Hernia Society. The Institute is the First Centre to receive these accreditations in India under the leadership of Dr. Chowbey.
Dr. Chowbey established the Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi in 1996, which became the first of its kind in the Asian subcontinent under his Chairmanship. His continued quest for professional excellence led him in surgical oncology to visit and train in some of the best medical institutions in the World like Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer hospital, New York, John Hopkins Institute in U.S.A. and Royal Marsden Cancer hospital, in U.K. The Centre was recognized and acknowledged as a Global Centre of Excellence in the field of Endosurgery under leadership of Dr. Chowbey.
Dr. Chowbey was one of the surgeons to recognize and acknowledge the increasing prevalence of obesity in India. With his characteristic determination, he pursued the surgical treatment (bariatric surgery) of patients of morbid obesity. His tenacity has borne fruit with a large number of patients benefiting following bariatric surgery. The support group for obese people has been set up to provide interactive forums, consultation, moral support and information about weight loss.
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey is a Founding designee in the International Centre of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery Program by Surgical Review Corporation, USA. He is Founder President of Asia Pacific Hernia Society (APHS), President of Asia Pacific Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Society (APMBSS) and President of Asia Pacific Chapter of International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) & President Elect of International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) after serving the association as Secretary General & Founder Member. He is immediate Past President of Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI).
His academic kudos are several and to name a few, he is on the Advisory Board of Asia Pacific Endosurgery Task Force (APETF). He was awarded the Padma Shri in 2002 for his dedication and service in the field of Minimal Access Surgery by President of India. He was also awarded Honorary Membership of German Hernia Society at Oldenburg, Germany in May 2011, Indonesian Hernia Society at Bali, Indonesia in 2009 and Gulf Cooperation Council Hernia Society (National Chapter of Asia Pacific Hernia Society), Dubai in 2010. He was one of the founder members of Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons (IAGES) and later served as President of the association. Presently, he is honorary laparoscopic and endoscopic surgeon to the President of India and Honorary consultant laparoscopic surgery to the Armed Force Medical Services (AFMS). He represents India as Governor to the Society of Endoscopic & Laparoscopic Surgeons of India (ELSA). He is Board member of Gasless Laparoscopic & Endoscopic Surgeons Society, International (GasLESS). Recently he has been awarded Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa Doctorate) by His Excellency Governor of MP and the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Jabalpur. He is a member of various national and international societies. He is an Advisor to various Government bodies and universities to provide expertise and facilities of minimal access surgery including procurement of medical equipment for the medical institutions & hospitals.
Dr. Chowbey in association with his team in the department performed more than 50,500 major Minimal access surgeries between 1992-2011. He along with his team operated on the President of India, Shri K R Narayanan in March 2001. Dr. Chowbey features in the Guinness Book of Records 1997 and Limca Book of Records in consecutive editions 2000 – 2011 for performing most minimal access surgeries. He had the honor of operating on His Holiness Dalai Lama on 10th October 2008.
Dr. Chowbey was nominated the Convenor by the National Board of Examinations of Post Doctoral Fellowship in Minimal Access Surgery in 2001 and have trained more than 3000 surgeons from India and abroad.
Dr. Chowbey has been designated as a teaching faculty – expert panel at number of prestigious international and national institutions for the live surgical workshops and world congresses and has addressed erudite surgical audiences all over the world. He has conducted and actively participated in more than 700 national and international workshops on basic, advanced & bariatric laparoscopic procedures. Continuing with his passion to educate and train increasing number of young doctors in the art of Minimal Access Surgery.
Dr. Chowbey with the core-group of experts from all over the country, formulated guidelines and recommendations for minimal access surgery, endoscopic hernia surgery and obesity in India.
- Convener of Guidelines on Obesity in association with Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI) in December 2010.
- Consensus Guidelines for Endohernia Surgery (monograph that outlines the best available practice guidelines in Endohernia groin surgery) during the Fourth Annual Meeting of International Endohernia Society (IEHS) organized by Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in conjunction with Asia Pacific Hernia Society and Hernia Society of India (National Chapter of APHS) held at New Delhi on 19 – 21 February 2009.
- Metabolic & Obesity (MOSI) Guidelines, India (consensus recommendation and guidelines in relation to overweight, obesity, diabetes, metabolic syndrome and risk associated with these conditions for Indians). A Summit organized by Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in association with Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India; Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI), All India Association for Advancing Research in Obesity (AIAARO) and Diabetes Foundation of India (DFI) at New Delhi on 15 & 16 November 2008
- Minimal Access Surgery – Guidelines and Recommendations supported by all medical bodies and governmental organizations of repute viz. Indian Medical Association, National Board of Examinations, Medical Council of India, Ministry of Health and Indian Council of Medical Research, and are also endorsed by the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgeons (IAGES), released by the Hon’ble President of India at Rashtrapati Bhavan in July 2002
Educational set of CD-ROMs (15 CDs) on “Basic and Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeries”, released by the Hon’ble President of India at Rashtrapati Bhavan in July 2002.
- Dr. Chowbey edited / authored a text book “Endoscopic Repair of Abdominal Wall Hernias” that crystallizes the enormous experience of a team of minimal access surgeons who are leaders in the field of laparoscopic hernia repair. He also edited / authored a Monograph titled “Mechanism of mishaps and risk reduction strategies” exclusively focused on “Safety Measures”.
- He is a Guest Editor of “Advanced Laparoscopic Gastrointestinal Surgery” Book which is the first series of books of “Clinical Surgical Gastroenterology and Liver Transplantation”, modeled on Surgical Clinics of North America, published by Elsevier.
- He is actively involved in publishing articles with more than 75 original scientific papers in international and national indexed journals and contributed chapters for various Text / Reference books.